Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's All Good!


I suppose I've gotten a little lazy but we have no real news...well, that's not true.  Luke is doing GREAT.  He had his 6 week appointment yesterday with the pediatrician although he'll be 7 weeks tomorrow.  He's 13 lbs. 8 oz. and 24 inches long.  His head is also continuing to grow but she's not alarmed by it.  He's eating great and sleeping well - at night!  He's starting to smile more often.  He's working on lifting his head up and holding it up.  He's cooing.  He's using his eyes and head to track.  He's doing really great.  I can't believe how quickly time is flying by!
We had our meeting with our First Steps Coordinator, the OT and PT to write Luke's IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan).  Our coordinator asked me what our goals were for Luke for the next year and really for his lifetime.  I somehow managed to cap it into a few minutes but really, think about it - goals for a lifetime?   I want him to walk.  I want him to talk.  I want him to laugh and play with his brother.  I want them to get in trouble  together.  I want him to drive and do well in school.  I want him to climb on top of the furniture and counters and ignore me when I tell him to get off.  I could've gone on and on.  Then we narrowed it down and focused on major milestones as his goals for the next year - we'll work on holding his head up, sitting up, rolling over, crawling, pulling up, walking, eating solid foods, etc.  With any luck he'll meet all of those goals.  The OT and PT will continue to see him on opposite weeks.  So we'll have both but every other week.  They talked about what they've observed and what they will do within the next year to help Luke meet his goals. 
Still no signs of seizures from what we can tell.  They may never happen (fingers crossed!).  I wish that was something the doctors could give us a 'yes' or 'no' on.  Yes he will have seizures or No he won't.  I hate worrying about every little movement but it's getting easier. 
He's doing good with his big brother - or I guess that is the other way around.  Ben seems to mostly like Luke except when he cries - then he gets a loud 'Quiet Luke!' from his big brother.  Ahhh....brotherly love! 
Thanks for checking in on us!  We'll continue to post updates but hopefully we won't have a lot to say very often!!!

PS!  I think I figured out how to add e-mail subscription!!  Look on the top right - I hope it works!!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE these pics Mel!! He looks so sweet. I can't believe he is already 7 weeks. Keep the updates coming...we all love to see the pictures and see what Ben and Luke are up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goals! How difficult to think about what you want for your child in their lifetime when they are only a few weeks old! You summed it up well. Keep the good news coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great entry. your words reminded me that all of us should think about our goals for our children, no matter what their challenges and gifts. i love my nephew -- both of my nephews! you are doing such a great job with both of them. keep up the good work! i am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what to say. Your goals for him make my heart hurt, and not because you have to articulate them, but because you're so right. It's amazing how "the best for them" really means health and happiness.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete