Thursday, March 28, 2013

School boy!


School is going great!  He transitioned like the rock star he is.  Luke went right on in and started wowing his new teacher.  Making school happen has been challenging and we really appreciate the help that Dan's parents have been able to provide.  We are still waiting on bus service. 

I haven't met his OT or PT which is very strange for me.  I know what they're going to be working on but I'm used to being very involved in his therapy.  I spoke to his PT today and it sounds like the way it is going to work out, he'll have all of his therapies on Tuesday's and Thursday's.  At this point in the school year, the therapists schedules are very full.  It sounds like two OT's will be splitting his time for the remainder of the year.  Because we know this will be an adjustment for him, we're going to continue with speech therapy and physical therapy every other week.   Our First Steps speech therapist is going to continue to see Luke.  However, we are having a hard time finding a PT who can accommodate our schedule. 

Luke had his six month neurologist check up today.  It was well timed since he had a couple of random seizures yesterday.  He hadn't had any since early January and I was hoping it was all behind us for a good, long time.  We are going to increase his medication again and if that doesn't work, we start talking about different medications to add.  *sigh*  The neurologist isn't terribly concerned because his seizures aren't hindering his development so there's time to figure it out. I understand that Luke has a mild case of epilepsy and I am thrilled that his seizures so far are few and far between (at least they had been and I hope we're heading that way again!!)....but I'd be at my happiest if there were no stinkin' seizures at all for my sweet boy - or anyone at all.  March 26th was Epilepsy Awareness Day and I saw a post on Facebook (from EpilepsyAustralia) where someone wrote something about how you learn just how long 30 seconds is when someone you love is having a seizure.  So true. 

Other than that, Dr. Smyser was very impressed with Luke.  Luke sang Happy Birthday to himself and talked a little with Dr. Smyser.  Usually he refuses to speak to him. We go back in six months.  We have his six month MRI in June.  His head did NOT grow between our last visit and this visit which is a first!  That is great news!!

Equine therapy continues to be a highlight in Luke's week.  Last week Ben got to ride, too!  He loved, loved, loved it!! 
 
Happy Easter to you all!! 

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful news! I'm so happy school is going well for Luke, AND for you! :) Happy Easter to all of you!

    xoxoxo
    Catrina

    ReplyDelete