Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Our Lucky Luke!!















He's here!! He decided that it was time to make his grand entrance yesterday. Well, really, today. He was born at 1:58 a.m. Weighing in at a hefty 9 lbs. 8 oz. and measuring 23.5 inches long, Luke came out howling!! I was so relieved to see him, hear him and be able to hold him.


The team at Children's was amazing. There were A LOT of people on hand to greet Luke and check him out. They were worried about seizures because he was making some funky movements with his hands so he did get carted off to the NICU pretty quickly.


He is doing really, really well!! He is able to eat so as far as we can tell - no swallowing issues. It looks like the weird arm movements were just the weird arm movements of a big, big boy shoved into a tummy not meant to hold that heftiness! Eeek. He is not showing signs of seizures!! It is everything I could've hoped for. I believe that these things could appear at any time but right now they're not there. Another victory....At this point he seems like a typically developing newborn - a HUGE typically developing newborn!!


I finally got to go see him this morning at 10:30 and he was on his way out for his MRI. The nurse was really sweet (or just felt bad for this crying, crazy mom) and let me hold him for a few minutes before they took him away. I was having some issues with blacking out today so unfortunately I didn't get my chance to go see him again until about 6:30 tonight. But then I had all kinds of time with him!! It was great!!

He did have both of the tests that they wanted him to have today. We haven't been able to catch up with the doctors yet - largely due to the fact that I was confined to my room. Boo. We are hoping to talk to them tomorrow and are hoping for either good news or no new news.


We are so, so happy with the way things are going at this point. He is beautiful and strong and we couldn't be more proud to have him in our lives. I'll keep you updated after we hear any news from the doctors....Fingers crossed!!!

7 comments:

  1. Mel, God is good! Thrilled to hear the news thus far and my prayers continue. I placed Luke on our bible study groups prayer chain. Many ladies here in OH lifting up him in prayer. I pray you are feeling better...don't like your blacking out report. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!! He is so beautiful! I'm glad you finally got to spend some time with him last night-I bet he really liked cuddling with his Momma! I am already counting down till I get to hold him again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! He is beautiful and BIG! I thought Jack was big! He looks like a handsome, one-month-old baby. He looks like Ben, too. What a cutie! Take care (is the blacking out normal?) and enjoy your little bundle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are they saying about your blacking out? I no likey.

    He sounds great. I love the photo of him crying. Give 'em hell, baby! Has Ben met him yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad he is here and things are going well. I hope you are feeling better. He looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has issues with blacking out. Can't wait to see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new baqby boy! Concerned about your blackout issue but honestly with all you have been going through, an extra big delivery maybe your body just wanted some quite time. So happy to hear your good news!!! Wishing you many more blessings to come.

    ReplyDelete